Tuesday, March 25, 2008

SHINGLES...EWW!


Shingles......Their nasty, aren't they? Well, that's what I have on my side right now. It's just a small patch, about the size of this picture (no, this is not a picture of my shingles!) It not only looks nasty, but it is also very painful!

Some questions you might have....


How do you get it? Well, anyone that has ever had Chicken Pox can get it. The Chicken Pox virus goes dormant in your system and never actually goes away. Then without warning (usually from stress of a weakened immune system), it can pop back up in the form of shingles.


Side effects? Just pain and the nastiness (not a real word, but don't know how else to describe it) of the rash on your body.


How long does it last? It takes at least 1-2 weeks to go away. And the pain can last for weeks after.


Are you contagious? Yes, to anyone that has never had Chicken Pox. But if you've had Chicken Pox, then you are immune. I also can't spread it on my own body, so that is good news!


I really can't believe I have shingles. So random. I guess it's from the stress at work, but now I am completely stress free since I am quitting!! So, this must just be a side effect from the stress last week. I finally broke down and went to the doctor today to get some pain meds and she informed me of how contagious I am and told me that I can't go back to work until she clears me, NEXT week! So crazy! So I am out until at least next Wednesday. I guess I should be excited, but I feel guilty. I don't feel bad, just the pain on the area with the rash, but when I am busy at work, I don't notice it as bad. I just hate to leave Suzanne with all those kids. I mean, she'll have a sub, but that's not the same. I hate that for her! (Sorry girl!)


So, I will probably have a few more posts this week then normal, because I will be sitting around, doing nothing! I guess this is good practice for when I don't work anymore. I am going to try to be productive and not just lay around all day. The only down side is that the meds she put me on can make me really tired and leave me with a "drugged up" feeling. (Straight from the doctor's mouth). We'll see how productive I can be when I'm drugged up. :-)

1 comment:

Amy Middleton said...

eww is right! that looks painful! I'm sorry you got that! You should blog some of your yummy recipes...I am always looking for some new ones! :)